The Castle

schloss lang von hintenScrall down for a slideshow with more pictures…

Beesenstedt Castle is a magical place that feels like a huge adventure playground. It was run down during East German communist times and is now peu-à-peu being renovated. It transmits an atmosphere of possibility and creativity much like the city of Berlin did in the years after the wall came down. It is often visited by artists escaping from the turbulent city life in order to advance their projects in this remote and inspiring location.
The Castle was built in 1895 in the village of Beesenstedt in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. Until 1947 it served as the residence of the Nette family whose ancestry reaches back to the German poet Friedrich Gottlieb Klopstock. The interior of the Castle was designed by Paul Schultze-Naumburg who was also responsible for the design of the Cecilienhof Palace in Potsdam (which hosted the Potsdam Conference in 1945). In 1921 it was looted by Max Hoelz in the course of the “Märzkämpfe” (a communist initiated workers revolution). Its use as a masonic lodge house lead to the various meeting rooms throughout the castle.
During the Second World War the castle served as the seat of the Government Bureau of Saxony. After the war, the trade union federation (FDGB) of East Germany used it as a holiday camp. After the fall of the wall, the castle was uninhabited until 1996. Today it is privately owned and used as a location for film-shoots and other events. In 2008 the band Rammstein spent a few weeks in Beesenstedt Castle to prepare for their album “Liebe ist für alle da”.
From Beesenstedt you can take a beautiful 3km walk down a little valley towards the village of Kloschwitz.

Link to: Beesenstedt Castle Website

Here’s a slideshow with more pictures of the castle:

<
>